Sunday, September 14, 2008

I could eat these every day...

As we all know, I am ever on the prowl for the perfect pancake. I'm getting closer every time I try out something new or revamp a tried-and-true favorite.

This morning, I made vanilla pancakes. They were very simple and incredibly delicious. They actually, factually melted in my mouth. Truly! I know people say that stuff melts in their mouths, but these pancakes really did. SO GOOD, PEOPLE. So very, very good.

Vanilla Pancakes

Ingredients:

Your favorite base pancake recipe and whatever it calls for (I like Bisquick, damn it), enough to make a little over a dozen pancakes - substitute heavy cream for 3/4 of the milk (if the recipe calls for 1 cup of milk, use 3/4 c of heavy cream and 1/4 c milk)
2 Tbs sugar
2 tsp vanilla (use a high-quality vanilla, or the taste will be overbearing and fake rather than subtle)

Directions:

Make the pancake batter according to your recipe's directions, remembering to substitute heavy cream for 3/4ths of the milk called for in your recipe. Add the vanilla and the sugar; whisk until smooth. The batter should be slightly thicker than normal, but it shouldn't be so thick that it won't pour out of a cup and onto the griddle. You can always thin it out with a couple of tablespoons of milk at a time, whisking between each addition to check the consistency.

Pour batter onto griddle. These pancakes will cook a little more slowly than regular pancakes, and they're best when they're only a very light color. I served mine with a dollop of unsweetened coconut rum whipped cream and maple syrup, and they were divine. In fact, they were so good I'm making them again next weekend. Maybe I'll even try throwing a couple of mini morsels in there to see how that works. Heh.

No comments: